Our church had its beginning in 1940. Our early founders were DJ Gulley, George Boaz, Thomas Robertson and their families. These men met with Bro Baggett and asked him if he would consider becoming their pastor. He agreed and they quickly began a building program.
They purchased a lot on the corner of Third Ave South and Cameron Street in the South Nashville area. They had church in a tent until a building was erected. When the building was completed, they officially became known as “Jesus Only Tabernacle.” In that building, the Lord moved marvelously and many souls were saved. We worshipped at that site until 1961. During that time we had several pastors: Pastor James H. Thornton, Pastor Warren Larry, Pastor Tommy Cypert. In 1958, Brother Billy D. Shoulders became the pastor.
By 1961, we had outgrown that building on 3rd and Cameron. The church then purchased a basement church on West Trinity Lane. We changed the name to First Pentecostal Church of Bordeaux. Once this building was no longer adequate, we were faced with the decision to either build on top of the basement church or relocate and build a new building. The site chosen for this new building was on the corner of Broadmoor and Maplewood Lane in North East Nashville. We moved into this building in December 1969. The decision was made to rename this new building First Apostolic Church.
We have now been at this same location for over 46 years. In 2001, under the direction of Pastor Billy Shoulders, the Family Life Center was erected. The building hosts a basketball, volleyball court, multiple classrooms, kitchen and office space.
In November 2004, the next phase of leadership began when Pastor Billy Shoulders became Bishop and his son, DJ Shoulders became Senior Pastor of First Apostolic Church. Bishop Shoulders served as Pastor for over 45 years. The transition of pastoring was seamless and the body of Christ continued to grow. Revival continued to stir and souls were being saved.
The church quickly outgrew the original church building built on the property. A building program began in 2007. While the new sanctuary was being erected, church services were held in the Family Life Center. In 2009, the new sanctuary was completed and it hosts our current services. We have been able to modify our current buildings to accommodate the growth. The campus now provides a youth sanctuary, nursery, conference rooms, along with the original Family Life center and new sanctuary.
We have seen great outpourings of God’s Spirit through these years and have seen many of our dear brothers and sisters who were laborers and pioneers of this assembly go on to meet their rewards. First Apostolic Church continues to carry on its vision of Love God, Love People, Serve the World.
First Apostolic Church is a church striving to become a 21st century Apostolic Church. We are founded upon the belief that the Bible is the inspired, infallible Word of God.
We believe in the great commission and are endeavoring to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with love, mercy and compassion.
We believe there is only one God (Deuteronomy 6:4). He is the Creator of heaven and earth, and of all living beings. He has revealed Himself to humanity as the Father (Creator), as the Son (Savior), and as the Holy Ghost (indwelling Spirit).
We believe in water baptism by immersion in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ for the remission of sin. Through baptism we identify with the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Romans 6:3-6; Colossians 2:11-14; Acts 2:38
We believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the initial sign of speaking in other tongues. Acts 2:4
We believe in the manifestation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. He minsters to His people through tongues, interpretation of tongues, prophecy, words of knowledge and wisdom, discerning of spirits, faith, working of miracles, healings, helps, and government. Mark 16: 15-18; Acts 5:16; 2 Corinthians 12:1-11